Tuesday 5 July 2011

lamb chops

Yesterday my family and I enjoyed a single plate of lamb chops. It was a nearby "shawarma" joint...a barber shop next door. My brother decided it was time for his (yearly?) haircut. I didn't want to go alone to place an order but when I got out of the car, my brother was no where in sight. I marched boldly to the guy who was neatly scraping out delicious meat from the skewer like thing which holds it all. I said I want one plate of lamb chops. He didn't seem to understand. Of course, because I said it in Hindi, thinking he was an Indian. He looked confused so I repeated slowly...laaammmb chopsss onee platee. He nodded and I went back to the car. After a good 15 minutes I went back (lest my borther should point out that I couldn't even order a plate of lamb chops). I said "Lamb Chops ready?". He nodded again. I took the parcel with great pride. It felt like I passed an interview of sorts. My brother came out at the same magical time. We drove home. I warned him that the lamb chops could turn out to be fish (briefing him on my communication or rather lack of it with the "shawarma guy"). It turned out - they were lamb chops - 4 pieces - along with salad, hummous, quboos and french fries. All for RO 2. I loved it.

Oh and the "shwarma guy" .... yea he was Indian!!

No comments:

Post a Comment