Sunday 12 February 2012

Chicken Pie

A few days ago I tried my very first Chicken Pie. I am not an expert cook so I may not be able to describe the recipe very well but here goes...
Mix some regular all purpose flour with butter. I had used 1.5 cups of flour and I had put enough butter to form a crumbly texture. Add a little salt.
Add a few tsp of cold water and knead to make a dough (I have read that too much kneading is bad so keep it minimal). Now keep this dough in the fridge until you cook the chicken.
For the chicken - I stir fried an onion with 2 cloves of garlic and small piece of ginger. After a few mins I added the chiken cubes and some beans and chopped boiled eggs (you can add any other vegetables or meat). I added a few tsp of soy sauce, half a tsp of chilli powder, little salt, some chilli flakes and some dried herbs (you get them in small ready to sprinkle bottles at any store these days).
Next I took out the dough from the fridge and separated it into 2 halves, one of which I returned inside. I rolled out the other half into a big enough circle to fit the pie dish I had. In between the rolling you might have to return the circle of dough back to the fridge as it tends to melt. Also add a lot of flour onto the surface so that the dough does not stick to it. If you do return it to the fridge then take out the other half and start rolling. Keep doing this until you have both the halves big enough to cover the pie dish.
Sauce - Mix 2 tsp of butter with 2 tsp of flour and cook for a minute. Add half a cup of milk or more depending on how much sauce you want. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, cheese, any other herbs. Cook till it is nice and creamy. Pour it over the chicken.
Now transfer one half of the dough to the pie dish, layer the chicken on top and cover it with the other half. Make a few holes in the dough with a fork and brush some milk on it. Bake it in the oven for about an hour at about 180. Keep checking in between as this is what I did. Once the dough starts turning a light brown it is more or less ready.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment